Friday, October 30, 2009

A Spooktacular Day

Wow… today we saw the baby’s heartbeat for the first time- very awesome, surreal and odd at the same time. God bless the wonderful world of ultrasound. I’ll be honest: these babies don’t grow nearly as fast as I thought. I know that they grow hyper fast – seriously I do, I went to Health Ed. in school, I hear what the doctors tell us. But 2mm?  That seems awfully small for a baby that causes such wide reaching mood swings. I mean, you’d think this thing was the size of the troll that lives under the bridge at this point given how much my mental state fluctuates. One minute I am happy as a clam, the next I am raging lunatic angry and ready to storm out of the house (and go where I don’t really know- it always seems like a great idea…) then the next I am sobbing and miserable trying to figure out how we are going to pull this whole pregnancy, baby, and parenting thing off. Normal? Yep.

The only true consolation that I realize I have is knowing that while we all think/ say that the men have it easy in this pregnancy thing, (at least I had imagined that Taylor did) I have come to realize that they don’t. I mean, there may not be too worse things than approaching Halloween and wondering what type of monster ate your wife and replaced her with the banshee that she sometimes becomes when a certain time of day is reached or a trigger crops up or for no reason at all.  There is a lot of caressing, and “there there” in our house right now.  To the point that Taylor rolled his eyes and laughed last night (after one of my fits of crying of course) when I said I wasn’t experiencing any real pregnancy symptoms. Woops. And I thought we were getting away scott free- oh how I was mistaken!

Past that, this week’s dinners have been relatively lackluster and nothing to write about. Not for lack of desire or inspiration but it was really hard to start a week off with Taylor's homemade gnocchi on Sunday-everything else pales in comparison. We are heading to the farm tonight for end of season lobsters from the Cape, which I can’t wait for. A limited lobster consumption this year is as close to heartbreaking as it gets in this house. I guess we can treat it as sort of our Halloween ‘treat’ since we don’t have neighbors, we don’t get trick or treaters, and there really isn’t anything uber-inspiring or that appeals to us to get ourselves dressed up for anymore.

I would say we really are growing up, but then realize that we do harbor a ridiculous desire to (for some reason) dress our dogs up for Halloween this year just for kicks. Torturous maybe but still gets a good hefty giggle out of us every time we talk about it.   I wont tell you as what in case we actually DO it and take pictures- I will of course then post the pictures for the world to see. If they only knew how we desire to mortify them then they would no doubt have done everything in their power to make sure that we didn’t reproduce. The cats on the other hand get left alone- we do have kitty wigs for them thanks to their aunt Lib but that usually doesn’t elicit too happy of a response and when a 24 pound cat with claws wants to tell you he isn’t messing around with a hot pink or blond wig that fits over his ears he gets his point across.

Even scarier than my crazy psychotic episodes might be what it would be like to experience a world series game on Halloween… in Philadelphia… not to say that I would not go and wear a witch’s hat if I had the chance, but I feel badly for any unsuspecting visitors (Yankees fans or not) for having to visit the scariest fan town in the nation on the scariest day of the year.

Go Phils and Happy Holler-ween!

No comments: