Monday, January 18, 2010

Can you hear me now?

As we wait semi- patiently for the results of our amnio to come back (this is KILLING us by the way), and as we try to do the million and one small tasks that have been sitting on the home repair t- do list before the appraiser comes this week, I have let my mind wander to the more than un-documentable amount of advice I might potentially offer to our soon-to-be born child and any that may potentially follow. I am sure that this is common. At least I keep telling myself that other mothers to be MUST think of this type of thing- or obsess over it such as I feel like I am suddenly doing.

Aside from not running with scissors, sitting too close to the television, not turning the volume up too loud or you’ll go deaf type of motherly advice, I have realized that there are small life lessons that I might be able to osmosis-ly pass on to our baby in advance. I mean if you can fire up a baby speaker and blast baby Einstein type stuff into the old belly than why cant I try to spread a little wisdom? Yes, this seems to fall into the sort of a “if I knew then what I know now” type of approach f parenting.

So if I had to write down these pseudo life- lessons, or speak them, or think them and our baby would listen, what would I actually SAY? Is there a limit? Is this one of those, baby can only absorb so many things at once so try and keep it to less than a handful a day type of situations? Maybe… so for today here are my life lessons:


•    Never schedule meetings before 10 am if you can avoid it.

•    Always call your parents and see them whenever you can regardless of anything that you might try and use as an excuse – trust me on this one.

•    When you spill water on your keyboard do NOT try and use a hairdryer to speed the drying process- it will melt.

•    Girls love flowers- from anyone, and for any reason. I bought myself tulips this weekend and cant stop staring at them.  If you are a boy – buy girls flowers often. If you are a girl- don’t wait for someone to buy you flowers - as nice as that seems and as much as you think that they will regardless of who they are – just get them for yourself and your day will automatically be brightened.

•    Don’t bite the ankles of bikers passing by. They are not trying to take over the world one suburban property at a time- they are just out for a joy ride. We all like to do different things to make us feel happy- don’t chase after or nip someone if they are doing something you don’t know how to do or understand. (This one is direct from Boudreau our black lab who is now on a 10 day quarantine for biting a cyclist over the weekend. He apologizes profusely and admits he never thought he would actually “catch one”.

Love, Mom

Oh yes, and I finally found a little love for cooking again this weekend after what feels like weeks of reheated meals and carbo-loading... homemade tomato soup for dinner last night- yummmmmm, tiramisu (thank you uber-basic Giada DeLaurentis food network recipe for reminding me of the simple process of making such heavenly goodness) - my rainy sunday night was complete.

No comments: