Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Inside the Gift horse’s mouth…

So not to be picky, or take the fact that our amnio results came back today and we aced everything (yah!) and are expecting what we know to be a healthy baby… I am feeling very guilty… and I mean VERY. Please pause as I try and recall for you the conversation with the cute genetic testing girl on the other end.

Her: "Your amnio results look great you have blah blah blah for results.. which is GREAT! (insert super chipper sweet voice here).”

Me: 'Fabulous! I am so happy! '

Her: "The last question is- would you like to know the sex of the baby?"

Me: (Giddy and so excited I feel like I might pee my pants - the moment of truth, the one we have been waiting for..) 'YES!'

Her: "It’s a …. BOY! Congratulations! "

Me: 'Oh… darn... I mean - really? Great!(somewhat fake enthusiasm)Thank you so Much!'

Me again - Hang up phone and want to cry… mope for two seconds, call husband to “share the great news”. Get same type of response I gave cute genetic testing girl, granted he WAS in a meeting.

There is a lesson to be learned here, I just don’t want to admit it quite yet… I can say it though- don’t look a gift horse in the mouth because when you do you will see ugly oat chomping teeth and smell hay breath.

I am happy - I AM!! ... I promise… we will hopefully have all stars align and have a healthy baby, and at 35 that is a LOT to ask for… but a BOY? We were convinced we were having a girl…and I really wanted it to be a girl. I am sure we may receive a few therapy bills for this poor child in the future if and when he finds out that we really wanted a girl.

Not to say a boy is BAD. Nothing close to that at ALL. But, honestly, as far as I have ever known (until now of course) boys play with trucks, they eat worms and bring home snakes (the latter of which is my LEAST favorite thing in the world), their pants fall down and they don’t like being fussed with to look nice. Boys don’t wear pretty smocked party dresses with matching bows in their hair, they don’t want to play dress up with mommy’s high heels and play with her lipstick or dolls and fairies and make frilly iced cookies and oogle over shades of pink and read Madeline and Eloise (well most boys anyway)!

So, today I have been getting used to the fact that my husband is excited to teach “the boy” how to fart, how to properly aim a gun, pee outside, bait a hook and all of those “man” things that require one on one ‘dad and lad’ bonding time. Actually, not a bad thing if you think about it.  I might actually get a little ME time out of this first child.. wait- this isn’t sounding so bad at all! Boys and their mothers usually have a very close bond, so not only do I get that rockstar part of things, daddy can take him to the firehouse and mom can maybe do something like get a pedicure, shave her legs, read a few pages of a book!

All in all, this boy thing is getting better by the minute- and who know, with all fingers crossed this wont be our last little one so my chances for party dresses and pink ribbons are not gone for good, just taking a backseat so we can raise her a fabulous older brother who will nurture her and protect her just like big brothers do.

No comments: